Thursday, December 29, 2022

Clean Your Room!

I recently came across some comments by controversial Canadian psychologist, Jordan Peterson to the effect that people who are lacking direction in life should clean up their room. A university professor, his main audience is students, so a room is all they have. I have a house!!


Is there any research that you're aware of that correlates tidiness to self-confidence or strength or anything like that? I asked Terry, who has taken many more psychology courses than I have.

He could think of none.

When I told him why I was asking, he asked: Are you tidy?

No!

Have you ever been tidy?

No?

Have you achieved your goals?

Yes.

Then don't worry about it!

But Peterson's comment intrigued me. One student understood it to mean that her room was an extension of who she is, and the degree to which her room is disorganized, her thoughts were disorganized, muddying her sense of direction and purpose.

I thought about my personal space (my house) - how, my focus and interests have changed over the years. Would getting rid of the things that no longer interest me help me clarify what I want to do next?

Hmmm... Maybe it's worth a try! Time to clean up my "room"...

No comments:

Post a Comment