Sunday, January 30, 2022

Watching the Amaryllis Grow

I’ve never bought a flowering bulb to grow indoors before - until I purchased an amaryllis bulb - on sale half price after Christmas.











When I got home and opened up the box, I discovered it contained a bulb, soil and double pot - all in separate plastic bags. Amazingly, the bulb was already sprouting.

I planted it, as per instructions - a third of the bulb sticking out of the soil - at the same time wondering if it was too late for the plant to succeed.











But before long, it straightened up and began to divide into leaves. Then another sprout appeared.











I watch it daily, amazed at its development.

Recently I noticed a bit of reddish brown on the tip of the tallest sprout… Was the plant getting enough water?! Was it dying?! 

I felt the soil, relieved that it was moist to the touch… The next day, the red spot was larger. After a day or two, a crack in the stem showed that the red was really a flower tucked inside.











Watching the amaryllis grow and develop has become one of the highlights of this cold month of January. It’s so fascinating!

Growing an amaryllis may just have to become an annual winter event!

No comments:

Post a Comment