Sunday, January 2, 2022

Some Random Thoughts on Memory

I find it interesting that my mind seem to “cycle” - and out of the blue, so to speak, I remember people and events I haven’t thought of for years.

As a result of one such “remembering,” I recently reconnected with a friend from my university days. In our emails, we discovered that though we both remembered certain events, the details each of us remembered were different…

***

Terry, in his working days, had a colleague who had “total recall.” She remembered so many details - dates and people who were present! But the last time Terry and I bumped into her at a supermarket, she was carrying a shopping list! So total recall may not include everything… though she may still remember what date that was. She definitely remembers all our children’s names, even though the last time she saw them they were babies.

***











My father, in his later years, loved to solve his Rubiks Cube. He called it his daily exercise - and claimed that - since he started doing the puzzle multiple times daily - his memory had improved.

I’ve tried, but I simply can’t get into it!

***

What has me thinking about memory is my frustration that - if one of my kids asks what I did on the weekend, or even the previous day, I can’t remember!

Maybe - like my mother - I’ll have to start keeping a diary, writing it down!


No comments:

Post a Comment