Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Surprised by the Sky

Yesterday I was enjoying my early morning coffee outdoors - around 7 am - when I noticed that the sun looked red...











It doesn’t look as red in the picture, though the sky has a pinkish hue.

The result of smoke in the air from forest fires in northern Ontario?











Then, about half an hour later, as I was heading indoors, I glanced up at the sky again, to see if the sun was still red.., and I noticed TWO balls close to each other...

Was the smaller one the moon? A planet?

I took a picture through the window - hence the grid lines of the screen. Then I stepped outside to take another picture. The second ball was less clear - possibly because the sun was brighter but it’s still visible at about 6:30 (down and slightly to the left).




















Here’s another attempt...











Maybe this mark-up will make it easier to see…

Mindful that I shouldn’t be staring at the sun, even early in the morning under a hazy sky, I decided to look for information on an astronomy website instead...

Don’t know if I’ll remember to do that during the course of the day, but seeing the red sun, then TWO disks near each other in the sky reminded me that the sky can be full of surprises!

No comments:

Post a Comment