Monday, July 19, 2021

Healthy Eating

I’m curious about the concept “inflammatory“ and “anti-inflammatory“ foods, things we eat and drink that can have a negative effect on the body - like sugar, which can raise one’s blood sugar and, over time, damage nerves. Or foods, like berries, that can improve one’s health. 

Fortunately I found several in our public library, so I am perusing them.











I’m about a third of the way through this one, and so far have discovered that I have a sensitivity to most of the “healthy” spices, like ginger and cayenne pepper, though I can eat cinnamon.

I already avoid most refined carbs, like white rice, white sugar and white flour, substituting ground chick peas or ground nuts for some flours.

I’m also curious about the health effects of different kinds of tea. I remember someone from Europe telling me that they used different teas as medicine for digestive issues.

I haven’t come across information on that, yet - but they have mentioned the benefits of fermented food and drink.

I do buy a lot of plain yogurt - made with active bacterial culture. But, unlike some of my friends, I don’t make my own.

My grandfather, Hugo Bartz, ate a lot of fermented foods like sauerkraut and yogurt, that he made himself. And he lived to be 100... I now realize I have a lot to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment