Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Phlox in Bloom

When we first moved into this house, there was a small flower bed at the back of our property and a small hedge. But no fence in the back yard.

I enjoyed seeing the perennials in bloom, though their blooming season was short, ending in early July.

Around that time, I visited a neighbour who had created a lovely “English country garden” in her back yard - after taking a course on flower gardening at the nearby college. 

The secret of creating a garden like that was to plant flowers close together - with mixed colours blooming all summer long.

I would regularly visit her garden throughout the summer and was taken by the cheerful brightness of flowers called phlox, that come in a variety of colours.











I immediately set out to find some - and over the years I’ve divided the plants and moved offshoots to other parts of the yard.











The phlox I have are light and dark pink, white and red.











I’ve noticed that other types of phlox bloom earlier and later in the season. I’d get some - but I’m not sure where I’d put them! My flower beds are quite full.

No comments:

Post a Comment