Sunday, October 15, 2023

End of an Era

One of my favourite neighbourhood landmarks will soon be gone. 


A Dairy Queen stand that is only open from spring break to Canadian Thanksgiving weekend (first weekend in October) will not be reopening next spring. It has been sold to a developer who plans to tear it down.

For me personally, it's a sad reminder nothing stays the same forever.

An early memory reminds me that it was already here when we moved into the neighbourhood 40 years ago. We moved into our house in winter - though I can't remember if the exact date was December 31, 1981 or January 1, 1982. 

The following June, our daughter turned 2. On her birthday, Terry was at work - but I wanted to do something special to celebrate. So - 8 months pregnant but feeling VERY energetic - I plopped her in the stroller and walked (almost a mile) to Dairy Queen - where I treated her to a birthday cone.

Heading back, I started to feel tired... Suddenly my body just stopped. I couldn't take another step. What to do?! I sat down in the grassy ditch, hoping to regain my strength. But my daughter, wondering why her mother had stopped, tried to get out of the stroller.

Panic! (There were no cell phones back then.) What to do?!  I must have prayed!

A moment later, a neighbour drove by - then stopped. 

Can I give you a ride? she asked. I was SOOO THANKFUL!!

I never come this way, she told me as she drove me home. But I felt an urge to do it today! 

I'm SOOO glad you did!

Lesson learned: Never trust your pregnant body, even if it's bursting with energy. It may suddenly CRASH!

No comments:

Post a Comment