Thursday, October 12, 2023

Confusing Rattlesnake Plant!

When my daughter gave me this rattlesnake, plant, she told me that it spreads its leaves out during the day and folds them upright at night. And that's true... But it doesn't happen EXACTLY the way I expected.


So I'm puzzled! It's almost 6 am in the photo above and still dark outdoors, as one can see through the window. Sunrise is still an hour and a quarter away... 


But when I walk into dark room and turn on the light, I notice that the plant is already spreading its leaves! Why?! It's still dark out.


Conversely. 12 hours later, at 6 pm, it's still light outside, but the leaves are already starting to move upright and close...

If sunlight - or darkness - don't cause the leaves to move, then what does?! It must be some inner biological clock! Fascinating!

No comments:

Post a Comment