Thursday, September 28, 2023

Two Plant Stories

Plant Story #1: Earlier this summer, this pepper tree in the purple pot - that had been growing indoors - had no leaves on it. Was it merely losing seasonal leaves? Or was it dying?! I didn't want to take a chance on losing it, so I brought it outdoors - where it has thrived and even budded.



But a few days ago, I noticed that a branch had been broken off. Two green peppers were lying next to it, partially chewed - then abandoned. 

Squirrels?! 

Should I bring the tree indoors again - as I inevitably will have to over the winter - to protect it from squirrels or chipmunks?! Or is this removal of branches simply nature's "pruning"?

I have no idea what to do!

Plant Story #2: My daughter has a way with succulents. They really do well in her sunny home-office window. (My succulents, on the other hand, barely survive!)



Look at this plant, she said, the last time I was at her apartment. 

I broke off the spindly top of a plant that was leaning over and I just placed it in a pot of soil. But look at it now! The leaves are so much larger than the parent plant.



She moved the parent plant next to it... Strange.., the difference in leaf size!

Did the new pot have some super soil in it - the soil that promises plants 10 times larger... I may have bought some - though I didn't believe their claim...

Now I'm also wondering if I should try breaking off the tops of a few of my spindly succulents and laying them on fresh soil. Given my luck with succulents, they'd probably all die!

What to do?!

No comments:

Post a Comment