Friday, September 29, 2023

Teachers' Reunion



When I was in my 20s, I moved to Montreal, hoping to improve my French. I eventually found a job in a military language school - teaching English to young French-speaking recruits.



The school was at a base in St. Jean, Quebec - a 45-minute drive from Montreal. I taught there for almost four years, eventually leaving when we moved to Ottawa for Terry to study counselling. And - to our amazement - we've lived here in Ottawa ever since.  But it was definitely not part of our original plan!



A few weeks ago, we drove back to St. Jean for a reunion with others who had taught at the language school over the years. About 40 of us gathered to tour the large "Mega" - the building that now houses the language school. 



I don't think I ever taught in this building. My teaching was all done in old WWII  barracks.



As with all things military, it was hard to know what we were and weren't permitted to photograph!



So most of my pictures are of hallways and other open spaces - including the chapel and the base store. (Maybe I should have tried to buy a T-shirt!)

It was a beautiful day, weather-wise and a really fun reunion. I'm so glad we were able to go.

After our tour, Terry and I explored "old St Jean" - a picturesque area of town near the Richelieu River - before rejoining the group for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment