Sunday, May 29, 2022

My Last African Violet

There was a time when most of my indoor plants. were African violets. Some had pink flowers; others purple…

And a few - like this one - were white.

Over time, Some faded away, no longer flowered or grew. Not sure what I was doing wrong. I did give a few to my daughter - and they’re doing well in her sun-filled apartment. But this white one, in a pink pot is the only one that I now have in our house..

Last winter, we had an indoor infestation of no-see-‘ums - tiny, annoying mites. They flew around the main floor of the house. Were they coming from one of the plants?

I didn’t know what to do  - but wondered if this African Violet plant might be harboring a nest of eggs.

I put a plastic bag over the plant, tucking all openings under it, put it to a shady shelf - and basically ignored it for the past five or six months.

A few little mites appeared inside the plastic, but all in all the plant seemed to be thriving

I was recently surprised to see that it was blooming, so I removed the bag. Almost immediately a tiny mite flew by… then another appeared…

DECISION: I no longer want to keep the plant in an indoor plastic bag terrarium, so I’ll just move the plant outdoors,  to avoid a further infestation of my other house plants!

I wonder if I can grow roots from one of the leaves… 

No comments:

Post a Comment