Tuesday, May 17, 2022

14-Day Glucose Monitor

A few weeks ago, I wore a small button on my arm for 13 days - as it constantly measured the blood-sugar in my cells.


I was easily able to check my blood sugar levels before and after meals as well as after exercise and during times of rest.

It was an interesting experiment - watching my sugar levels rise (after eating) and fall. But I don’t feel that it’s a tool that I need to use to monitor my type 2 diabetes.

Normally I only check my blood sugar once a day - before eating or drinking anything. 

The two-week monitor did reveal what foods spike blood sugar. I was surprised to see, for example, that after a meal of Indian food (rice, butter chicken, vegetable biriani and naan bread), my glucose didn’t spike, as it usually does when I eat rice. But after a meal of Greek food (rice, potatoes, salad and souvlaki skewers) it did. I have no idea why. A different kind of rice, perhaps?

I think the monitor could be very helpful to those who are type 1 diabetics. The rising and falling of blood sugar that the monitor reveals could be very helpful in assessing when to administer insulin.

But im glad I was able to participate in this interesting experiment - and learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment