Friday, February 25, 2022

Using Our Strengths











A book I’m reading (about dieting) has a chapter on using our innate STRENGTHS to overcome obstacles we’re struggling with.

When I mentioned this to Terry, he said he’d taken a course in “Strength-Based Counseling” when he was doing social work, and he had found it helpful. 

How does it work?

After talking with clients about a problem, he’d turn the conversation towards internal and external resources they already had to help them solve the problem: supportive people they could talk to, openness to counseling, past successes (remembering how they achieved them), community resources, ability to reason - and so on.

He said it was similar to “solution focused therapy.”

The book suggested doing an online questionnaire - at ViaCharacter.org/character-strengths - to discover what a person’s “signature strengths” were.

(I shouldn’t have been surprised to discover that CURIOSITY was one of MY top five!)

My book suggests a few other resources I could check out.











I may listen to the TED Talk by Shane Lopez on “Focusing on your strengths.” I already have so many books I’ve started that I have to finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment