Thursday, February 17, 2022

New Knitting Challenge

For years I thought that I knew all there was to know about knitting. I managed to follow knitting patterns in four languages... (by learning the key knitting terms and their abbreviations). I even taught several of my friends how to knit.

I didn’t think knitting was all that complicated. There were a few basic stitches  - cast on, cast off (or bind off), knit, purl - that’s it! The limitless variety of patterns depended on the order of stitches and the type or thickness of yarn used.

At times - when I’d see patterns created by knitters who had been at the craft for only a short while - I’d feel a little disappoint that - in spite of all the knitting I’d done over the years - I’d never created patterns. I don’t even feel competent to modify patterns very much.











But recently, in the sweater I’m currently knitting, I’ve come across new terms that I don’t know: “German short row,“ “wrap and turn”... 

I’ve had to go to YouTube for demos. But even then, I’m not sure I’m doing the right thing!

I feel like a beginner all over again! It’s challenging... But fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment