Friday, March 19, 2021

"My Best Self"?!

I've been reading an interesting book this winter... and I'm probably about two-thirds of the way through. It's called The Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything. I really knew nothing about the Jesuits before starting to read it - so I'm finding parts of it quite fascinating...











I'm currently reading a chapter on decision making... How to make an important decision when you're in a quandary about what to do...

Make a list of pros and cons is one way suggested... I've done that before. In fact, I often do it when trying to think through a course of action. 

What would you advise a perfect stranger to do, if he or she sought your advice was another way to get some distance and perspective on the topic.

Several other scenarios were also offered, as a way to get a clearer perspective. Then came the final one: What would your best self do?

My "best self"? I've never thought of that concept... But the idea was a fascinating one... Would my best self have a perfectly tidy house - something I struggle with...? Or a messier house, because I'd be so busy helping others?

I think I need to give this concept more thought... But I was interested to see that the poet Gerard Manley Hopkins, himself a Jesuit, saw it as a person acting "in God's eyes what in God's eye he is."

(Food for thought!)

No comments:

Post a Comment