Friday, March 12, 2021

Birch Bark Buckets

I used to enjoy going on field trips with my children when they were in elementary school.











Spring “sugar bush” outings were always popular. Not only did we see how maple syrup was made from early times - tasting maple toffee was also a highlight.

On one field trip with my youngest son's first grade class, the guide showed us different kinds of buckets used to collect sap over the years: Birch bark containers were used by natives......

Later, European settlers used wooden buckets.

Then metal buckets...

But nothing stays the same. The last time I went to a sugar bush, there were no buckets hanging on trees. Instead, plastic tubing captured the sap which flowed to a large central container. 

I was reminded of the birch bark buckets recently when I saw a statues of one in a Gatineau park.

I wonder if they were always decorated with pictures of animals - and if they were made in different sizes.

I did find a you tube video that shows how to make birch bark buckets. Glad to see that this traditional craft won’t be forgotten.


No comments:

Post a Comment