Sunday, July 14, 2019

Silent Meals ... in the Convent

The convent I stayed in while taking the icon-making course (that I mentioned in  yesterday's blog post) observes a tradition of eating in silence - meals with no conversation.

At first it seems strange, but there is actually something peaceful about it.












Why do they do it? one of my sons asked me...

I don't know, I told him. In early Benedictine monasteries, someone would read aloud during mealtime. Many people were illiterate, so this was a quiet time for them to listen and learn.












What do you think about while you're eating?

Sometimes I look out the window at the garden outdoors.








Mostly I think about the food - I pay attention to the flavors and textures... more than if I'm busy talking!

No comments:

Post a Comment