Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Peonies in Bloom at Ottawa's Central Experimental Farm

Driving down Prince of Wales Drive past the Central Experimental Farm, I noticed that large beds of peonies were in bloom.

To get to them, from the parking lot, I passed the farm's fragrant rose garden...











Which ironically reminded me of a tour I took many years ago at the Palace of Versailles near Paris, France...

The palace garden had many roses bushes and other fragrant flowers - the tour guide told us - because there were no indoor bathrooms when the palace was first built - and people would have to run outdoors. The fragrant flowers were planted to hide the smell... 

(An interesting historic detail!)

Both the rose garden and the peony garden at the experimental farm are well worth a visit.











Both roses and peonies come in a wide variety of shapes and colours...











Of course, volunteer garden helpers abound.

Many are retirees, like me...
I wonder if these gardens are meant to showcase all the varieties that can be grown in Canada.



No comments:

Post a Comment