Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Rain Brings Growth... and Crowding...

Last year I didn't do much gardening. I was told not to bend or stretch for several months after my abdominal surgery in June. By then, summer was over...

When plants aren't thinned out for a year - and the following spring brings an overabundance of rain... both flowers and weeds grow very well.

This year, in my back yard, I have to hunt for the pink peonies amid Persian corn flowers - which are also purple.

The tiger lilies (not yet in bloom) are also jostling for garden space nearby...




There are both "double" peonies...













... and "single" ones. I've never figured out if the same plant grows both kinds of flowers.











It's the season of pink and purple in our garden beds...



Apart from the gout weed, my other "weeds" are vines that creep over and through our neighbor's hedge...

I've been pulling out vines, thistles and gout weed - so I can see the flowers.

It doesn't take long for me to fill a big plastic garbage bin...










As I pull out weeds, I also want to make sure I'm not pulling out other flowering plants that will bloom later in the season (as I have in other years).

Which may be why my flower beds look like an unkempt jungle...












(Or maybe that's just my gardening style!)




No comments:

Post a Comment