Wednesday, September 25, 2024

A Helen Keller House Souvenir

My mother was a home economics teacher in Alberta, then later in Kelowna, BC. 

In her later teaching years who was asked to teach traditional crafts, like knitting, crocheting, spinning and weaving - as they had become popular again.


She took on the challenge with great enthusiasm, taking courses to hone her skills - picking up samples of local crafts wherever she went.


Going through her things recently, I came across these two mats that must have been made - and sold - at Helen Keller House in Jerusalem in the 1960's or 70's. I wonder if it was a school for the blind or simply a place where they could learn to weave.

I haven't been able to find much information online.


The mats are so pretty that I'm going to start using them... after all these years.



No comments:

Post a Comment