Sunday, August 20, 2023

How Was Your Week?

How was your week, Mom? My younger son asked me on Friday evening.

I tried to think...But I couldn't remember... 

Finally I said: I don't know. It was busy... (But it was embarrassing, not remembering ANYTHING!!)

Later, I began to think about his question, annoyed that a whole week had passed and nothing had jumped to mind! The whole week was a blur. 

Maybe I should jot down notes, like my mother used to do, to remind myself of what I do every day. I come across my mother's little notebook diaries when I go through her things. No personal thoughts - just what she did, the people she talked to.

The Jesuits make a daily practice of remembering what they spend their time doing, pausing to ask themselves if it was a "consolation" or a "desolation." In other words, did it draw them nearer to God or farther from Him?

Would having a daily habit like that enhance my memory?

Finally, I did remember a few things. Most days I walked for an hour at the mall. I also managed to get to the gym several times. 

I read the news about fires in Maui, remembering the island and some of the people we met when we were there, wondering how they are. 

Later in the week, the fires in Kelowna were on my mind. I thought about my relatives who live there and contacted some of them, to find out how they were doing. Fortunately all were safe.


One of my cousins shared this photo of the view from her house. No surprise she isn't sleeping well! Seeing it makes the situation so real.

Other less important things gradually came to mind: I wondered whether to sign up for a pottery session in fall. I checked the courses listed online but there was a technical glitch in the online registration system so I didn't sign up.


I spent some time on my two current yarn projects... 


And I began a new book about Canadian knitting, entitled "Untangling Canada." 

I didn't do much cooking or cleaning.


Glad I remembered A FEW things I'd done! I was a little worried!

No comments:

Post a Comment