Saturday, January 14, 2023

(Re)Moving Snow

It snowed a lot yesterday - and the previous night - so Terry was out early removing snow from the driveway.


Earlier - before daybreak - a snow removal vehicle cleared the two driveways across the street.


Moving snow - and occasionally REMOVING it, if it piles up too high on roads - is an essential aspect of living our normal life in winter. I can't imagine life without it.

But I remember, when I lived in Montreal in the late 1970s, reading that snow removal in that city only started in the 1920's, 50 years before. Prior to that, anyone who owned a car would put it away for the winter and bring out their horses and buggies or sleighs to use for the duration of the snowy season, until roads were passable again.

I realize that to my children, the 1920's is practically ancient history - but my parents were children in the 1920's - and (at my age) I realize what a short time childhood to adulthood really is. Many of my parents' stories of the years before I was born included horses - and wagons or plows, come to think of it.

Snow removal is a wonderful concept. I can't imagine life without it..,

But I wonder - was the first person to suggest moving or removing snow so that cars and trucks could drive on roads in winter - 100 years ago - laughed out the room?!

No comments:

Post a Comment