Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Latest Little Project


Strange how inspiration strikes!


This picture of a handmade basket arrived in a Mary Maxim email.  I considered ordering the kit - but with so much yarn in my "stash", why bother?! Surely I have enough to make a crocheted basket.


So I started ro wrap some white fabric cord with yarn and crochet the base... then the sides. Hmmm... It doesn't look as solid as the one in the picture! Maybe it will hold its shape better once the sides go up...


Eventually I finished a skein and switched to a new colour - and a slightly finer yarn, which tightened the sides up a bit. Not sure if that was a good idea. I'm learning a lot as I go - through trial and error. As it got taller, my basket continued to be "floppy." What was I doing wrong?!


Checking out some fibre baskets at the mall, I realized that the ones with firm sides also had a firm base. Not sure how to fix that!


(Maybe I should have bought the kit!?!)

Oh, here's a floppy one…


Not sure what mine will look like in the end or how tall it will be. But once I run out of cord, I guess it will be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment