Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Another Generation Learns to Knit!

When I was young, my mother taught me to knit. She didn't spend a lot of time knitting - she had a lot of other interests - though she did knit some exquisite pieces - like this afghan that she made in her retirement...


I love doing textured designs, but this one - with cables as well - is too complicated for me to enjoy.

My mother's mother was a knitter. She used to knit socks for everyone in her family. I don't remember her using a pattern. I just remember her holding the sock up against my foot to measure its size. I wish I knew her formula for knitting socks that fit. Even with my dozens of patterns, mine are always too big or too loose. I also remember watching her hold her yarn the "European " way, and I tried to incorporate that into my knitting. It seemed so much faster. That's the main thing I learned from her.

My interest in knitting really took off when I was in high school. Mohair sweaters were popular - and I could knit one in a weekend. There was really no stopping me after that! 

My daughter knows how to knit, though she doesn't credit me with teaching her. She says she used books - and YouTube - to learn. (I'm not sure YouTube existed when she first learned. But like her, I go there to learn more.)


Now my granddaughter and her mother want to learn to knit.



I've taught a few of my friends... and I'm delighted to teach them!


Hopefully knitting will give them as much pleasure as it has given me!

No comments:

Post a Comment