Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Birthday of a Childhood Friend

Today is the birthday of a childhood friend I've kept in touch with over the years.


We lived two houses down from each other in Red Deer, Alberta, when we were 7 and 9 years old.

When my family moved to Kelowna, BC, we continued visiting back and forth in summer. Eventually Jean and her husband moved to British Columbia as well. Though we didn’t live close to each other, we kept in touch. We also both started quilting.

Jean later taught quilting in her community, where she opened a sewing machine and fabric store.

The last few years have been challenging for her, health-wise. Nonetheless her death, shortly before Christmas was a shock.

So instead of wishing my childhood friend "happy birthday" - as I have for many years now, knowing she reads my blog.... I'm reflecting on how her friendship enriched my life.


Looking back on those mostly carefree days of childhood, I'm reminded that every stage of life comes and goes. Good health - and good friends - are two of the best gifts of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment