Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Room to Write

I always wanted to be a writer… For years I kept journals - but I never wrote the novels I hoped to write when I was young.

When my children were adolescents, I began to carve out a bit of space for myself in my schedule. A few night school courses in quilting followed… Also correspondence courses in writing…

Eventually I developed the habit of simply buying books to “teach myself.”

I recently came across a notebook I used with one book I was reading - a book called “Room to Write”… I have almost no recollections of doing the exercises in the book. But I did some of them - and I’m currently re-reading what I wrote back in 1998 and 2000 - as I fill in the empty pages in my notebook.

It’s so interesting to jump back all those years as I read the stories and exercises assigned by the book… So interesting, in fact, that I recommend - for anyone keeping a diary or journal - to leave a few blank pages here and there - to write in later. 

Re-reading what I wrote is more than a trip down memory lane… It’s interesting to see how LITTLE (about me and my life) has really changed! Twenty years ago, I was dealing with clutter on my desk - and, even then, it annoyed me that I couldn’t remember what I had eaten - or done - the previous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment