Friday, November 12, 2021

Gardening ... With Squirrels

I’ve been trying to divide plants that are now too large... and move parts to a new location.

My neighbor, Bill, who used to live across the street - and who had a long career in landscaping - used to do this in spring...











I didn’t think it mattered whether I did it in spring or fall. 

The hostas are going dormant for the winter - so I thought I’d divide a very large hosta in the back yard, filling in the hole with new soil.











Now I notice that squirrels have dug in at least six places in this soft, fresh soil.

Have they planted new trees there?!

I guess I won’t know until new plants emerge next year

Having pesky squirrels upset my gardening plans is one of my pet gardening peeves!

Sometimes I put rocks on the fresh soil as a deterrent... but I didn’t do it this time. That was probably a mistake. Rocks do stop the squirrels from digging ... But it’s easy to trip over them once everything is in bloom again!


No comments:

Post a Comment