Friday, June 12, 2020

Am I Ready for "Normal Life"?!

This week I've noticed more cars on Ottawa roads and in parking lots...

Have people - who don't work from home - returned to work? Or is everyone out shopping like me?

This is the first week that dentists and optometrists are open in Ontario. Spas have opened. Barbershops and beauty salons open this weekend. Sidewalk cafes as well, I think.

This past week I had two scheduled medical appointments - appointments made long before Covid-19 social distancing began.

Should I keep them? Am I ready to sit in a crowded waiting room? I wondered...

I ended up going to my annual eye check up at a large optical clinic, but cancelling the scheduled dental cleaning. In the eye care clinic, the waiting rooms had been re-configured so chairs were two meters apart. We had also been told to wear masks.

Is this your first day open? I asked.

We were open all along for eye emergencies, the assistant replied. But this is our first day accepting non-emergency patients.

While at the clinic, I read the news on my Iphone. New Zealand had just stopped all isolation and life there was back to "normal"...

It was encouraging to think that "normal" might come sooner than I think. Will it take months - rather than years - to feel safe doing the things we've always done without wearing masks and worrying about washing our hands or touching our faces?!

I think that, when the time comes, it will take me a while to get used to "normal" again. But it will be wonderful not to live in fear!

No comments:

Post a Comment