Saturday, March 23, 2024

Remembering...

My photo app sometimes reminds me of photos I uploaded years ago...

This series takes me back 17 years. My youngest son was studying in Germany for a year. I decided to visit him during Spring Break. I was still teaching at the time.


While I was there, he and I took a train to Frankfurt to visit three of my mother's cousins. I had met them before but he hadn't.


It was a memorable trip for us both!



Another memory from that trip - before the era of smart phones... It happened a few days before we visited these relatives...

My son was expecting me to arrive by plane in Stuttgart, where he was studying - but my flight from Canada to Frankfurt was late, so I missed that second connecting flight.

What to do?! I had no cell phone and, in fact, had no contact information for my son except his email address. I didn't even have his dormitory address, though I knew the name of the university.

When I think back, I was really unprepared!

I begged the Air Canada agent at the Frankfurt airport to let me use his computer to email my son. He reluctantly agreed. I also switched my second flight to a train trip because they told me it was faster. 

Arriving by train instead, I wrote in the email.

His first thought - Which train station?! (I had no idea there were 2!)

Fortunately he guessed correctly and was there to meet me! I'm so thankful that he was! Lots of adventures on that vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment