Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Interesting Thought

I've had a hard time, this past winter, finding books that really interest me. I came across this one, by Bonnie Thurston, a contemporary poet and theologian, in the library.


In an early chapter, Bonnie Thurston quotes Samuel Johnson - whom I remember studying about in my English literature courses at university...  

Johnson was most known for writing an English dictionary. He is also credited with inspiring many poets of his day, who were his friends.

In 1750, he wrote: "we are all prompted by the same motives, all deceived by the same fallacies, all animated by hope, obstructed by danger, entangled by desire, and seduced by pleasure."

"ALL DECEIVED BY THE SAME FALLACIES" caught my eye...

If it's true - and every generation looks back at the "strange" ideas of their parents and grandparents - what fallacies am I deceived by?! 

I'll probably never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment