Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Planting Something New

I was walking down a neighbouring street and stopped to admire a yard with numerous flower beds. The woman who lived there was working in the garden.


I admired one plant with long red dangling flowers.

Those are seed pods, she informed me. I have them all over the yard. Would you like some?

Sure! I replied, expecting her to give me a handful of seeds.

She disappeared into her back yard and returned with 4 large branches laden with pods.

Just lay the pods wherever you want the plants to grow, she said. They grow from seed.


So that's what I did! I lay the branches, with their dangling pods, here and there, in different flower beds. That was easy!

Don't you have to cover the seeds with soil? my daughter asked.

Perhaps I'll  cover some and leave some uncovered.


There are so many seeds in each dangling seed pod! 

I wonder how many of the seeds will grow!

My neighbor Mary informed me that the plant is called Amaranthus caudatus or Love Lies Bleeding and that it can grow out of control! 

Sounds like the rest of my garden - totally out of control! Let's see what happens!


No comments:

Post a Comment