Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Homemade Oatmeal Crackers

I've looked at this oatmeal cracker recipe numerous times in my Fanny Farmer cookbook.  


I've heard that homemade crackers are much tastier than packaged ones. The recipe looked simple, too.


I made only half the recipe, in case I didn't like it.


Mix 1 1/4 cups of dry oats and 1/4 cup of water.

BLEND - ROLL OUT (with a rolling pin) - score the "dough" with a pizza cutter - into 2 inch squares. Sprinkle with salt.

I don't have photos (I guess I got too caught up in the task)... But to make things simpler, I rolled the dough out on the same cookie sheet that I baked them on. 

Bake at 275 degrees F. for half an hour. Flip the squares  over and bake for 20 minutes more.


I found them delicious spread with soft cheese. They were eaten up quickly!

My daughter commented that the photo makes them look as thick as date squares. But I assured her that they were  only about 1/4 inch thick.

My son suggested adding more salt and baking them a bit longer. They were a little soft.

The batter was crumbly. Leftover crumbs - or crumbs that fell off the crackers - were added to the apple crisp topping I was making next. After all, it was only baked oatmeal - and a little salt.


No comments:

Post a Comment