Saturday, January 26, 2013

Mystery Bread

This winter I have again begun making bread by hand...














The recipe I  have been using is from a magazine I found online. I was looking for an article by a certain writer and discovered a magazine published by a Benedictine monastery. There I came across this recipe for Brother Paul's Milk Bread Rolls* [Recipe reprinted below...]














However, I call mine "mystery bread" - because I never know quite what it will turn out like! I constantly modify ingredients: Last time I replaced the white bread flour with a mixture of rye, spelt, whole wheat and unbleached white flour. I have also used olive oil instead of melted butter and, instead of milk, have used a mixture of yogurt and water (or cottage cheese and water - blended to make it smooth!) It always rises - and always turns out slightly different!














But I usually make cinnamon buns or cinnamon bread - and that always tastes good to me!














*If you want to find the magazine online, google "Brother Paul's Milk Bread Rolls." Here is the recipe, which is found on page 29:

Combine 1 package active dry yeast with 3 tablespoons warm water to dissolve. Add 1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F), 5 tablespoons melted butter, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix to combine. Gradually add 3 1/2 to 4 cups bread flour to make a moist but not sticky dough. Knead about 10 minutes. Transfer to an oiled bowl and allow to rise, covered, until doubled. Punch down and refrigerate, covered, about 30 minutes. Shape dough into rolls and allow to rise on a baking sheet until doubled. Bake at 425 degrees F for about 15 minutes.

(My one question about the recipe is: why is it necessary to refrigerate the dough for half an hour before the second rising? I'd really love to hear someone's explanation about that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment