Sunday, January 27, 2013

"Christ BENEATH Me!"

I love the words of this ancient Celtic prayer, a prayer of St. Patrick:

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I often puzzled over the meaning of Christ "beneath me" - though I did think of it when flying in a plane, something the ancient Celts would never have experienced. Perhaps to them it meant that Christ was with them in their boats - and in the water beneath their boats...

But now that winter is here, thinking of Christ beneath me...














... does comfort me as I drive and walk on ice!

No comments:

Post a Comment