Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Could I Handle a Technological "Fast"?!

Years ago (before I had a cell phone) I spent a quiet weekend at a convent. I had no access to a telephone - and thought nothing of it. My time away was a welcome break from the busyness of raising three small children. (And I knew my family could contact the convent in case of an emergency.)

But could I do it now?! I started to think about this after reading Richard Foster's comment that we are all distracted, in part due to technology. He suggests that we "crucify the spirit of distraction" by having a technological "fast" or "Sabbath" from time to time:

"I would suggest a fast from all Internet gadgetry for one hour a day, one day a week, one week a year. See if it helps to calm... internal distraction. I have a friend who when leading retreats asks the retreatants to turn in (not just turn off) their cell phones and Blackberries and Ipads. She reports to me that when she makes this request, people look at her as if she had just asked them to cut off their right arm." (Sanctuary of the Soul, p. 106)

Would it bother me to be without my computer, my cell phone, or my ipod for a day - or a week? I wonder... I think an hour would be no problem - but I would find a week difficult!

(Which leaves me wondering: when did this technological addiction happen?!)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment