Thursday, January 24, 2013

Book Darts

When I was a child, my weekends were filled with reading. I remember heading regularly to the library to make sure I had one good novel to read on Saturday and another on Sunday. I read through many a series in juvenile fiction: Pollyanna, Swallows and Amazons, Cherry Ames, Sherlock Holmes, the novels of Alexander Dumas...

Studying literature at university quelled my love of fiction... (Something is lost when reading becomes a homework assignment, a chore!)

These days I rarely read fiction. Instead I gravitate towards biographies, memoirs and religious writing. My current reading interest - to read through the great writings of the Christian church since its origins - has me reading, among others, a book (pictured below) by the 17th century clergyman, George Herbert, one of Britain's more famous poets. Not a quick read!














So when my friend Janet gave me a few thin copper clips called "book darts" from Lee Valley - I was thrilled! Now I can find not only the page - but the exact line where I left off! (Great for slow, reflective readers like me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment