Monday, January 8, 2024

Deleting E-Clutter!

I've spent hours - this first week of the new year - decluttering in a different way - deleting emails on my computer - several year's worth! It's been a big job.

I have several email accounts that date back to my teaching days, when I had separate email accounts for student-related communications, for online shopping, and for emails with family and friends.


All these accounts come to my cell phone, so I read them and delete them there. But... and here's where the problem lies - when I delete them from my phone, they still remain in my account on my computer. So I have to go back to my computer and delete them there again.

As I type this, I'm deleting emails from 2019. Thats's pre-pandemic! My plan is to go back to the beginning of the account.

The problem lies, in part, in the fact that many stores want your email address these days so that they can send you receipts. I prefer paper receipts - and refuse if I have a choice. But I often find myself on mailing lists from places where I shop.

I need to have a folder for e-receipts. It could be handy to keep track of them should I have a problem with a product.

But WHY have I been busy deleting NOW?! Because I can no longer send or receive emails through one overstuffed email account! And it's the one I use most often.

They sent me warnings - but I was too busy to heed them in December. But now - having been cut off - I am!

My son suggested I have a separate email account for photos and videos, as they take up a lot of space. He also suggested that I have a forwarding address on each account.Would that help?

In the meantime I'm spending the first week of the year re-reading and deleting emails. It's a bit like living in the PAST!

No comments:

Post a Comment