Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Mary's Latest Quilting Challenge

My neighbour, Mary, has been working on a beautiful - but very challenging - quilt! Here it is, hanging on her clothesline...


I asked her about it. Here is what she said::

I finally finished the "Aurora Borealis" quilting kit (which included the fabric) that I received at Christmas.  The finished quilt is approximately 183cm x 183cm (72" x 72").
The quilt consists of 12 square variations and you need to make 4 of each. Plus one for the centre for a total of 49 squares.

I started it with great enthusiasm, and did the first three squares variations and quit for several months.  The frustration started when trying to make the centre of each square lie flat.  When you have 8 pieces of fabric colliding together in the middle it is quite difficult to minimize the lump.  I did look up some Youtube videos which helped some.  When I did the final quilting on top, I did everything to avoid going over the centres.  I probably would have broken many needles.

The other challenge with this quilt was the fact that the instructions were written for the "Alaskan Quilt" which is basically the reverse colours.  So when reading the instructions for the pattern, the colour mentioned is not the colour used.  Example: There are two shades of dark blue.  In the instructions one is identified as "Cream" and the other as "Oyster".  There were 23 different colours in the pattern.  So to keep everything straight in my mind I had to write the colour name on a slip of paper for each fabric colour as per the Alaskan quilt pattern.  The whole thing was a mind game.

Wow! I'm so impressed! One thing I've learned over the years - from trial and error is that I'm not good with fine details and complex patterns like this.


I have so much admiration for those who can do it...

So I just stand back in awe when I see something that complex! So very beautiful!



No comments:

Post a Comment