Wednesday, November 9, 2022

It Seemed Like a Good Idea But...

My pottery sessions will be coming to an end this month and I was hoping to use up all my clay.


Some of it is from pre-pandemic pottery classes. It was rock solid a few weeks ago, until I poured water into a bucket and added the clay to soften it.


It must be soft by now, I decided, so I took the bucket outdoors to work on something there.


I set everything up ... I even brought out a finished piece of a small cat I made many years ago to gauge for size. But now  the clay was much too soft. I let it dry and harden for a bit. Eventually I did manage to carve out the figure of a squirrel... 


But will it hold together?!

Mushy clay has bubbles in it - which can make it more fragile than compacted clay. We'll see what happens as the clay dries and hardens - and I work on it some more.


It's  supposed to look like a squirrel resting... Like this black one on our deck. There's no shortage of models around the yard!

This was the first time I've done pottery outdoors. It was pleasant to do on a sunny, warm day!

No comments:

Post a Comment