Wednesday, September 14, 2022

"Teacher Strawberry" at Work


Now that my granddaughter lives nearby, she often visits. She and I used to play make-believe with Barbies. But these days she likes to "play school.". 
Of course, she's the teacher and I'm the student!
It’s always interesting for me, a former teacher, to see how a first grader views the teacher’s role.


Here “Miss Strawberry” - the teacher - is consulting with the office (on the classroom phone) about some issues of the day. 

“Principal Terry” is often consulted.


Watching her, I’m reminded of my early teaching days when the only phone in the school was the one in the office. Classroom phones and cell phones did not exist!


On this particular day, we had a “field trip” to a pet store…


“Student Marlene” noticed something she had never seen before - a leash for a pet rabbit! 


All this school stuff is hard work, so of course, we needed snacks!

“Playing school” - with my granddaughter as teacher - reminds me of the “classroom” I set up in our basement  in Red Deer, using my mother’s old classroom resources to teach my brother and his friends. (I was the teacher, of course!)

Her grandmother and great-grandmother were both teachers. Will the lure of the classroom be part of my granddaughter's life as well?!

No comments:

Post a Comment