Monday, September 26, 2022

Finally… Equinox (in Ontario)

I remember learning in school that September 21 was “equinox” - equal hours of daylight and darkness… I assumed that this occurred on that exact date everywhere in the world.


But my daily tracking of daylight hours showed me that here - in eastern Ontario where I live - it actually occurred yesterday, September 25!

This leaves me with questions: Is this the case in some parts of the world or everywhere? Does it fluctuate (in leap years, for example)…?

A quick check on my weather app shows me that in Guelph, where my daughter used to live, it was equinox yesterday, as it did in Ottawa, though sunrise and sunset times are slightly later in the day..


But in other places in the world - like Jerusalem, which is farther south - sunrise and sunset times yesterday were 3 minutes different.

Another southern location, Dallas, Texas, where my brother lives, there was a two-minute difference the date we had our equinox, so I assume they reach equinox on a different date than Ottawa does. 

So there’s no equinox date that’s the same all over the world?!


This is all very interesting - if a little confusing!

No comments:

Post a Comment