Friday, November 15, 2013

Learning Curves

Life's landmarks all have their own learning curves: growing up and leaving home, becoming new parents, renovating a house... (The list goes on and on!)

Some (like renovations) are short lived. Others (like parenting) never seem to end!

Helping my mother as she goes through her life changes is another learning curve I'm currently on.

In the past ten years, I have helped her move from apartment to retirement home (where food and medical care were provided) to a nursing home, where she receives even more help. Thankfully, she is happy. This is a good place to be when you need help, she has told me more than once.

My current learning curve? Trying to figure out what to do now that she has (rather suddenly) lost most of her sight due to macular degeneration. She loved doing puzzles and reading. But that has now come to an end.

There may be devices out there to assist her - magnifiers, books on tape... But are they simple enough for her to use? Can she figure out which buttons to push? And will they help?

This is the new uncharted territory I am currently navigating - as I try to help her continue to enjoy her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment