Saturday, February 16, 2013

My Favorite Winter Exercise

While others are enjoying winter skiing or skating on the Rideau Canal, I am participating in my favorite winter exercise: QUILTING!














It looks sedentary - but it is a constant round of movement:














 Sew...


















Press...














 Trim...

And the round continues! Every finished square has had me up and down at least a dozen times. Which is good - because, according to Joyce Meyer's book, Look Good, Feel Great, even small movements like "fidgeting" burn calories.  (Is that why all the hyper-active people I know are thin?!)

I found the Mayo Clinic research on fidgeting on BBC news sites online. And I've been paying attention! All my hours of "sedentary" work at the sewing machine haven't contributed to any winter weight gain. (There may be another factor at play here, too: When I am quilting, I'm usually so engrossed in what I'm doing that I forget to eat!)

No comments:

Post a Comment