Wednesday, November 8, 2023

All Salt is Not Equal

I was recently reading up on hypothyroidism. A few weeks ago, I had some bloodwork done to check on my thyroid health and I wanted to understand the test results.

I should preface this by saying I haven't spoken to my doctor yet, so I don't really know what the test results mean, but I do (thankfully!) have online access to the numbers, so I did some research using "Dr. Google." 

Now I have a few questions I want to ask when I see my doctor next week.


In my Google search, I came across the comment that IODINE was essential for thyroid health. I remember, as a child in school  hearing about "goiters" - enlarged thyroid glands. (Nowadays the condition is so uncommon that my spellcheck didn't recognize the word!)


But goiters were eliminated in Canada in 1949 when iodine was added to salt. 

These days, however, not all salt is iodized! Kosher salt, sea salt and other specialty salts may not be iodized.


After checking all the salt in the house and discovering that NONE IS IODIZED, I've put IODIZED SALT at the top of my shopping list. Maybe all I need to fix my thyroid problem is a little iodized salt! Now wouldn't that be something?!


1 comment:

  1. not all causes of goiter can be attributed to iodine deficiency

    ReplyDelete