Sunday, May 14, 2023

Green Thumb? It's a Mystery!

I always find it interesting to see houseplants that don't do well in one locations suddenly perk up when relocated. It's a mystery to me how small change can make such a big difference.


For years I kept this croton on a shelf in my sunroom, where it got direct light in the afternoon. It stayed the same size for a long time.


Last fall I moved it to the upstairs landing, putting it on the floor next to some other plants. Direct sunlight shines in, in the morning, from a higher level. The plant is now thriving. It seems to be getting taller, for the first time. Did putting it on the floor rather than on a high shelf make so much difference?! Or does it simply like the company of other plants in this indoor garden?


After seeing these pictures online, I'm wondering how big it could eventually get!


Another plant that is doing amazingly well in direct sunlight - ignored most of the time - is this aloe vera, now growing out of the pot. I got it at a church plant sale years ago. At the time, it was in a small pot. It's the first aloe vera I've had that has survived!

But why this one should thrive when so many in my care have died over the years is a mystery to me! Is it the soil mix? (Whatever that is...?!) The pot? The location? It's a mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment