Tuesday, May 30, 2023

When I was 19...

A long time ago (or so it seems!) - when I was 19 - I travelled to Israel to study for a year at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.


I left Canada in May, and spent the summer studying basic Hebrew at a kibbutz. We had language classes for half the day - and the other half, we worked. 

There were lots of different jobs to do on these communal farms. One of the girls in our group - a recent university graduate from the UK - cleaned public bathrooms all summer!

In the picture above, I'm picking apples. Coming from the Okanogan Valley in BC, with its many apple orchards,  I had picked fruit before. I didn't really enjoy working outdoors in the heat - and bugs! I much preferred working in the laundry, with a fan overhead. Or even in the kitchen of the large communal dining room.


We also went on tours - here we are in the desert.

Another tour took us to an ancient Roman ruin -  in the port city of Caesarea.

This narrow arched passageway was called the "eye of a needle" - my Hebrew instructor informed me.

It was an interesting summer... the first of ten fascinating years.

In September, I moved to Jerusalem and started my studies. I didn't return to Canada at the end of that "year abroad" - opting instead to finish my degree in Jerusalem.

Truly a life-changing experience!

Memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment