Sunday, April 2, 2023

Q1 Self-Evaluation

In January, on a blog I often read, I saw a list of "good habits" to develop... (Was I hunting for some useful "new year's resolution" ideas?! I don't remember.)

I may never have posted the list, but here are some of the items on it:

  • Dream big
  • Plan ahead 
  • Stay focused
  • Get up early
  • Invest in yourself 
  • Read more books
  • Avoid time wasters
  • Take calculated risks
  • Write down your goals
  • Live on less than you make
  • Make your health a priority
  • Do work that matters to you
  • Learn from people you admire
  • Develop an attitude of gratitude 



Looking at these "good habits " again, three months into 2023, I think I was attracted to the list because I value these things. In fact, already do a lot of them. I do plan ahead - though I love to be impulsive as well. The joy of freedom!!

Am I dreaming big? I used to but I tend to be more cautious these days. Is it my current age and stage of life? Or simply the pandemic, that has taught me to hunker down, stay safe? The pandemic has made me more cautious. I wonder if my life will ever go back to the way it was before.

In spite of the pandemic - and being retired - I still  have goals. From time to time, for years and years now, I have regularly re-visited them, writing them down and reflecting on them - just to remind myself of my hopes and dreams, or as one friend calls them - my soul's sincere desires....

Keeping them in mind, I still try to spend my time doing meaningful work - even in retirement. This may be why I'd only get a D in house cleaning. Maybe a B+ in knitting and crochet - and other creative endeavours.
I love to do them, but I'm not a perfectionist. I might get an A in reading and reflecting. My only A+ would be in willingness to take scenic drives, hunting for adventure! I value everything I do.

Things to work on?? After years of Terry reminding me to "count my blessings,", I'm still trying to develop an attitude of gratitude. I wish I had a naturally sunny disposition - but this is probably more common in children who are the youngest in a family. Maybe even a middle child. We "first borns" were always expected to be responsible. That expectation sticks with you for life!

Do I plan to do a Q2 re-evaluation? Unfortunately (or not) most of my habits are pretty ingrained. So there may not be much change!


No comments:

Post a Comment