Saturday, August 1, 2026

Family Memories

One of the things I was excited to see on my father's home movies from the 1950's - now digitized - was a scene with my father and his sister Elsie, together with their mother, Helene.








My father and his sister, who was a year younger than him, would have been in their mid-40's. Their mother, in her mid to late 60's. 

(As a child, I always thought of my grandparents as very old - although now I see them in a different light!)







I see a facial resemblance between my dad and his mother. 

Occasionally, when I see my face in the mirror, I'm surprised at how much I resemble Elsie when she was my age.

Elsie was a wonderful seamstress and loved gardening. 

I spent a lot of time with her family, when we lived in Hay Lakes and Red Deer.

My grandmother, whom we called Oma, lived with us and looked after my brother the year my mother and I commuted between Hay Lakes and Kingman, the first year my mother taught home economics.

The following year, our family moved to Red Deer - but Oma stayed in Hay Lakes and cared for a handicapped child - the daughter of the local blacksmith. I don't remember how long she did that before moving back to Edmonton.

But it was a thrill to see their faces again!

No comments:

Post a Comment