Thursday, August 20, 2026

August Vacation - Looking Back!


When our children were young, we usually took family vacations in August.



I often taught summer school in July - so, during that month, the children attended day camps and enjoyed activities we never did as a family: tennis camp,  YMCA camp outdoors in the woods - where a squirrel memorably chewed a hole on one of the kid's backpacks because he could smell a peanut butter sandwich inside.











Then in August, we'd pack everyone into the station wagon and head off - some years to Texas, where my brother's family lives. Some years out west, where both Terry and I have relatives. Other years, we'd stay closer to home.






In 1988, we headed to New England, Maine - and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, where Terry was born.



If our kids learned to be adventuresome, to get along - and to know their cousins - I credit these long family vacations - when we spent 3 or 4 weeks together - in a cramped vehicle - on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment