Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Confusing Words

For many years, I taught English as a second language. My students were adults - some of whom came to Canada to learn English. 

It wasn't unusual for them to approach me before or after class to ask the meanings of words or expressions they had encountered.

"Go you go" comes to mind. One student thought that's what the cashier was saying to him after he paid for his items.

"Why is he telling me to go? I paid for my things. I didn't do anything bad."

After thinking about it for a moment, it occurred to me that the clerk might have said:  "THERE you go."

"What does that mean?"

"It doesn't really mean anything. People just say that when they finish doing something for you."

Language can be confusing! (Even for me) because new expressions are constantly being invented. So I turn to my kids for help.

I saw the word "drip" in a shoe store, I told my daughter recently. What does that mean?



Well, drip is sometimes used to describe shiny jewellery. It shines like drops of rain - drip, drip. Lots of sparkles and BLING... There's a song that uses the word a lot.

Later I did my own online research and discovered Drip was also the name of a shoe company. (So the word has a positive vibe...?) Unlike when I was a teenager... calling someone a DRIP was NOT a compliment!

No comments:

Post a Comment